Monday, May 3, 2010

Hot Mocha Rum Soufflés

Hot Mocha Rum Soufflés Oh My! I was at this discount baking store the other day that I am just a teensy bit obsessed with, and I bought this really cool pan (so of course I had to use it in my next post)! Luckily I have this giant book of desserts (by Martha Day) of which I picked out this recipe (and slightly modified it).



Here is what you need:
6 ramekins and a walled baking sheet (I only had four so yes I did waste a little)
2 tbs unsalted melted butter (for greasing ramekins)
generous 1/2 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
generous 1/3 cup of sugar
4tbs strong coffee (I used instant espresso/hot water)
2 tbs dark rum
6 egg whites
powdered sugar for dusting

The Steps:
1. Fill baking sheet with one inch of water and place in oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.


2. Grease ramekins with butter. (dump out any that pools)


3. Mix 2 tsps of the cocoa with 1 tbs of the sugar and coat each ramekin with a thin layer.


4. Mix the remaining cocoa powder with the coffee and rum in a medium/large bowl.


5. Whisk egg whites until they form firm peaks. Whisk in remaining sugar.


6. Stir a generous spoonful of egg whites into cocoa mixture to lighten it, then gently fold in the rest of the whites.


7. Spoon mix into prepared baking dishes and smooth tops. Place on hot baking sheet (the one from the oven), and bake 12-15 minutes or until well risen.


8. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
They taste like molten lava cakes so grab some vanilla ice cream to go with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment