Monday, March 1, 2010

Cake Balls

Today's baking adventure was inspired by Bakerella. I have been completely seduced by Bakerella's luscious little cake balls so I decided to try them for myself. How does she do it? Is it really as easy as it seems?

5 Easy Steps
1. Bake a regular 2-3 layer cake
2. Let cool completely and crumble in a big bowl
3. Mix in a tub of cream cheese frosting
4. Roll into balls(about 1 ¼ inches in diameter)and refrigerate - you may want to use gloves
5. Dip in Chocolate and let set and you're done!

Here is how easy it is. I used the recipe for my brother's red velvet birthday cake because it's the best red velvet cake I've ever tasted. Mine turned out a little pink because I didn't have enough red food coloring, but no worries! Pink is also delicious!



1. Bake a cake. Here's my famous and delicious Red Velvet Cake recipe:

2 1/2 cups Self-rising flour
1 tsp White vinegar
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 tsp Soda
1 cup Buttermilk
2 lg Eggs
1 tsp Unsweetened cocoa
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 cup Cooking oil
1/4 cup Red food coloring; 2 bottles

Mix all cake ingredients together at medium speed in a mixer until well blended. Pour into 3 prepared 9" cake pans. Bake at 350~F for approximately 20 minutes.

2. Let cool completely and crumble in a big bowl
3. Mix in a tub of cream cheese frosting
4. Roll into balls(about 1 ¼ inches in diameter)and refrigerate - you may want to use gloves



5. Dip in Chocolate and let set

Heat chocolate chips until smooth and dip cake balls. I used a spoon and a toothpick to help with dipping.

How to heat chocolate: Place coarsely chopped chocolate (or chips) in the top of a double boiler over hot, not simmering, water. Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth. Remove the top part of the double boiler from the bottom


I used dark chocolate chips for the shell. I had to add a little bit of canola oil to thin down the dipping sauce, but I think my heat was too high. The oil does soften the shell slightly.



They turn out delicious and definitely worth it!

2 comments:

Food Swain said...

My birthday cake IS the best red velvet.

Anonymous said...

Kenny!! Love this blog... I mean LOVE this blog! Can't wait to test these out for easter! Hugs friend!

PS- Thanks for following my blog - that means a lot to me!

Post a Comment