Monday, March 8, 2010

Strawberry Galette

To my delight, strawberries, my absolute favorite fruit, were on sale at the grocery store the other day. I loved them so much when I was little that my Grandma used to grow them in her garden for me. Since they were on sale this was the perfect opportunity to make a strawberry tart or pie this week, but as I was looking through the baking section of my cabinet I noticed that my pie plate was no where to be found! So I turned to Martha for a solution. What I found was a Galette. A Galete is a pan-less tart (Perfect!) usually made with fruit, but it can also be savory. The steps below are adapted from Martha Stewart.

Here is how to make a Fruit Galette:
1. You make a crust similar to a pie crust
2. Arrange fruit in concentric circles in the center
3. Fold the edges in
4. Egg wash and bake

1. Make a crust similar to a pie crust
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
1 1/8 teaspoons salt
1 tsp sugar
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/3 cup plus 2 tbs ice water

Combine flour, salt, and sugar (in food processor or by hand). Add butter, and pulse (mix) until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add ice water, and pulse (mix) until just combined (dough will still be crumbly). Shape dough into a disk, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Here's where I took an hour break)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a floured surface, roll dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out a 10-inch round, and transfer to a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (While I waited for the dough to chill I moved on to preparing the strawberries)




GALETTE
2. Arrange fruit in concentric circles in the center
3. Fold the edges in


Ingredients:
1 pound strawberries, hulled
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
2 tsps cornstarch

For the egg wash and sugar finish:
1 large egg yolk
1 tbs water
1 tbs Sugar
1 tbs cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces



Cut strawberries lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Mix slices with 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch, and immediately arrange them in concentric circles on dough. Start 1 inch from edge, overlapping slices slightly. Fold edge of dough over berries. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.



4. Egg wash and bake
Whisk together yolk and water. Brush dough with the egg wash, and sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar. Dot berries with butter. Bake until crust is golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes.



Serve with cool whip for a tasty treat!

1 comment:

Food Swain said...

I could never make this. I like to just dump my fruit mixture in all willy-nilly. No patience for prettiness!

Post a Comment